876 G St.
876 G St.
Prominent Arcata resident John C. Bull, Jr. had this two¬story, false front building constructed in 1890. To insure that the new building would "never take fire from the roof' as its predecessor had on the night of November 19, 1889, "ten tons of corrugated galvanized iron" came from San Francisco on the "North Fork" to cover the roofs of this building and the one on the comer.
First occupied by Lafayette Ayers' branch livery stable, the Bull Building was remodeled in 1901 for Levi T. Darden's furniture business, known as the "Big Store." Todd and Dolson opened their furniture business here in 1904, followed by Robert McDowell's Old Reliable Furniture Co. in 1912. Sharing the space with McDowell were the J.G. Dolson undertaking parlors, located in the north side of the building from 1912 until 1923. Later occupants included Pete Canclini's shoe shop, the White City Meat Market and James Murray's Buick agency, identified by the electrically lit and glass topped gas pump out front on the sidewalk.
Jack Taylor's College Transfer and News Stand and a variety store, first known as Tatman's and later as Bert Hill's Variety Store, occupied the building from the late 1920's into the 1940's. Sequoia Grocery Company opened a new store here in 1943, utilizing the entire lower floor until 1955.
The building retains its tum of the century, false front architecture, highlighted by a bracket lined projecting cornice and topped by a decorated pediment. Recently painted, the Bull Building is a credit to its heritage and a noteworthy contributor to the Plaza.