Lumberman James Kirk, from Canada, built this residence in 1901. In 1916 it was purchased by a dentist. By this time, stage transportation well-linked Arcata with the interior, but it was wtill a long, hard trip for patients from the mountains, who frequently were put up for the night by the dentist and his wife.
In contrast to the house at 927 J Street, this one makes much of decoration. The conical roofs of the round tower and turret are trimmed with ornamental fish-scale shingles, which also cover the second floor exterior. The first floor has square shingles in an offset pattern. Tiny dentil (tooth-like) trim is used extensively and there is a border of raised floral design below the porch roof. Widows are dramatized with borders of small panes in geometric patterns, especially those centering the slant bays. Note the arched second floor windows and the hat-like cornices they wear. Tower and turret windows have carved glass, the only examples in Arcata of such elegance. Pairs of columns flank the rounded bay, and at the side entrance, they support a pediment (sort of filled gable). Both side and front doors are noteworthy.