732 9th St.
732 9th St.
In 1910, J.B. Tilley tore down the building which had housed the Diamond Fruit Co. and Arcata Fruit Co. businesses from 1899 until 1909, and built a store for the Delta Candy Company. The Arcata branch store had a wide, recessed entry, flanked by tall, narrow windows, all of which were covered by the ever popular canvas awning.
Opening in December, the Delta advertised hot and cold drinks from its modem soda fountain, hot tamales, enchiladas, sandwiches, ice cream and confectionery, brought daily from the Eureka store and displayed in the fancy new show cases. A partition at the rear of the store provided a "lady's retiring room ... fitted up in comfortable style." When A. Lyle Smith purchased the Delta the following April, he added an $800 upright electric piano for the entertainment of his customers. The Delta had a number of proprietors including the Walker family who ran the business and remodeled the building during the 1920's and 1930's.
The new Delta Bowl with two maple bowling alleys opened here in 1941. By the Spring of 1947, however, a new business was advertised at this location " It's New, It's Popular, The Alibi, 744 9th."