Touring North Arcata, Destination # 23

Stone House

980 14th Street

Built: 1888

Period: Victorian Architecture c. 1885-1900
Description:

Built in 1888 as the home for early lumberman, Elisha B. Jackson, it is the mirror image of the Stone House on the opposite corner of the block. The house remained in the Jackson family until 1946, when it was purchased by Robert W. Matthews. It is a good example of Queen Anne Victorian. It has a complex roofline with multiple gables, corner tower, Palladian window in the front gable pediment, varied wall surface including two kinds of patterned shingles, shiplap siding, rusticated foundation skirting and the decorated, gable-topped porch.