Touring East Arcata, Destination # 86

Cates House

185 12th Street

Built: 1884

Period: Settlement Architecture c. 1850-1885
Description:

The Cates house was moved from the corner of southwest corner of 11th and D Streets during the freeway expansion. It is an upright-and-wing house. This house has a single entry into the wing, but instead of the traditional porch there is only a stoop, decorated with cutout brackets. The Cates house is a somewhat fancier version of Settlement architecture, having decorative brackets, applied frieze, porch and window shelves.