Touring Central Arcata, Destination # 39

Nixon House

1022 10th Street

Built: 1858

Period: Settlement Architecture c. 1850-1885
Description:

Constructed in 1858, this is the only house in Arcata built in the Gothic Revival style and is one of the oldest houses in the city. Its builder, James A. Kleiser, had many of its features (the diamond-paned windows, marble fireplaces and the entrance hall's newel post and banister) shipped from New York "around the Horn". Kleiser owned the house for less than one year. The next owner, J.A.B. Faulkner, lost the house due to delinquent tax payments and the house passed to ownership by local businessmen A. Jacoby and James Michael. In 1861 the house was bought by William Nixon with a purchase price of 500 sacks of potatoes and a $20 survey fee. The house remained in the Nixon family for 110 years.

A simple one-and-a-half story, side gable house is transformed into a romantic architecture through the treatment of windows and front entrance. Diamond-paned basement windows are covered by steeply-pitched hoods and bordered by louvered shutters. The center gable is decorated by a cut-out bargeboard and shelters diamond-paned casement doors and shutters opening onto a balcony surrounded by openwork railing and covering an arched entry and front doors.